Cocoa Vanilla Studio: Boys Rule Altered Clipboard




Hi Creative Friends!

Welcome back to my Happy Arty Days blog!

Today I am sharing a super cool, off the page number -
an altered clipboard with the awesome Cocoa Vanilla Studio: BOYS RULE collection!
This project came about because my sweet boy wanted me to make him something for his bedroom that also featured his birthday photo. And when your children ask to have anything you make on their walls, well, how could I refuse?!!
I really hope he likes it!

"Awesome" Altered Clipboard



Isn't this fun?!! 
Such an awesome decor item for any cool kid's bedroom!
To start with, I just played around with a design for a 6" x 8" layout, and then once I was happy I rearranged it to fit onto the slightly smaller size clipboard. It was really fun working on a much smaller scale, and it challenged me to be really particular about my embellishment choices.
Let's take a closer look......

The BEST. Awesome, indeed!!!!
With that birthday photo being part of my son's design brief, I began by layering it with papers and embellishments to create a small photo cluster.
I apply a DIE CUT EPHEMERA frame over my photo, & then position this onto the denim look cut apart from pattern paper, CV-BR006 BOY STUFF.  
I insert a few ACCESSORY STICKERS & apply a larger frame (from the MISCELLANY pk) beneath it all.

Next, I embellish the photo frame with that Cool Kid FLAIR BUTTON, and the 100% Boy ACCESSORY STICKER (which I foam mount for added dimension). I add to this embellishing with a few stars from the CLEAR STICKERS, CHIPBOARD PIECES, DIE CUT EPHEMERA & ACCESSORY STICKERS.  The last adornment to that sweet birthday photo is the over sized, fussy cut camera from pattern paper, CV-BR006 BOY STUFF. Perfect!


I attach the photo cluster to the clipboard, angling it slightly off the edge of the board to maximise the clipboard space. I also want to highlight that it is a clipboard, so I 'clip' the top left corner of my cluster too!
With my photo taken care of, I now begin to decorate the board.....


I dress the base of the clipboard with pattern paper strips from, CV-BR006 BOY STUFF, & CV-BR002 STRAIGHT & NARROW. To this trim, I apply the Awesome DIE CUT EPHEMERA title with foam dots, and add another star ACCESSORY STICKER - because when it comes to birthdays, we can never have too many stars, right?! So cool!
I love the gold hardware featured on this board, but because it's SO shiny, it's a little distracting. I decide to tone it down a bit, by embellishing over it.....



I adorn the clip with fabulous King of the World ACCESSORY STICKER, skull & cross bones FLAIR BUTTON, and another star sticker - also from the ACCESSORY STICKERS. This looks a little more edgy, less polished & much more 'boy' - love it!
Travelling down the left hand side of the clipboard, I add a larger CHIPBOARD PIECES star, and then that double layered skull & crossbones. The double layer is so effective! 
Here's a closer look for you.....


Awesome!
You'll see that I start with the CHIPBOARD PIECES skull first, and then foam mount the DIE CUT EPHEMERA onto it.Very cool!
Further left, & on the back of the clipboard, I glue the grey scallop DIE CUT EPHEMERA shape. This trim adds an extra layer and point of interest to the overall design.

Beneath the skull & cross bones, I add yet another CHIPBOARD PIECES embellishment. 
This cool sentiment banner directs your eye back into the 'awesome' title & brings everything together. For final touches, I add one or two more stars, and a small journal with the typewriter font words from the ACCESSORY STICKERS.

And there you have it!
Simple, quick, boy decor that looks really AWESOME thanks to the amazing
I hope you enjoyed seeing my project today & are inspired to get creating too!

Thanks so much for visiting,

Happy Arty Days,
Amanda xo

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment